This March snowstorm is making for a forecasting nightmare. When you think of the atmosphere you can't just consider the bottom layer where we live, but you must consider all the layers in which precipitation has to fall. If the air is cold at the surface and warm aloft we get freezing rain which glazes over everything, if you make the cold air a little deeper and have a shallower warm layer that is when we see sleet or little ice pellets that bounce around, and of course, if the the layers are all cold that is when we get snow. A subtle change in the temperature above us can greatly
impact what precipitation we see, even if it is below freezing at the surface. That is the problem with this incoming storm, there is a large amount of uncertainty regarding the amount of warm air aloft which is resulting in inconsistent models and forecasters changing snow totals with every update.
At this point I am going to stick with my forecast of 8-12" locally 14" which is what the National Weather Service is also thinking. I don't see a reason to change my forecast yet but I will reevaluate in the morning.
SOUTHERN OHIO=3-8" of snow with the highest amounts closer to I-70 and .20-.40" of ice with the highest totals near the Ohio River.
NORTHERN OHIO=4-10" of snow with the highest totals along and south of a line from Lima to Marion to Akron.
No comments:
Post a Comment