Thursday, February 27, 2014

Winter Weather Update

I do not have many changes to my forecast for the major winter storm this weekend through Monday.

Here is a breakdown of timing and impacts across Ohio


Northern Ohio

Light snow will impact the region Friday night into Saturday morning with an inch of snow at best. 
By Saturday night the storm will move in and last on and off through Monday morning. I do not anticipate this area to receive the most snow but a general 3-7" appears likely with the least snow occurring in northwest Ohio from Toledo to Tiffin to Lima and higher amounts south of a line from Marion to Akron to Youngstown. 

Central Ohio

Light snow will impact the region Friday night into Saturday morning with an inch of snow at best. 
Starting Saturday night snow and perhaps some sleet will overspread the area and increase in intensity until the peak intensity during the night on Sunday. This area along the I-70 corridor will be the battleground for the potential of snow, sleet and freezing rain depending on the path of the storm. My current feelings are that from I-70 north this will mainly be a snow event with only minor sleet and ice accumulations and south of I-70 there could be significant mix of precipitation types. Snow amounts from I-70 north in Central Ohio could be very significant ranging from 5-14" and south of I-70 amounts of 3-6" with 1/4"-1/2" of ice accumulation. The amount of snow is still uncertain, but the potential does exist for a major impact snow event. Cities in the heavy snow could be Columbus, Dayton, Delaware, Newark, Mount Vernon, and Marysville. Some people who could be in line for ice includes Chillicothe, Lancaster, Grove City, New Lexington and Xenia. 

Southern Ohio

Light snow will impact the region Friday night into Saturday morning with an inch of snow at best. 
This region is most likely to endure a significant ice storm with amounts from 1/4"-3/4" but amounts are still very uncertain. The amount of ice will depend on how much sleet mixes in and how long you stay freezing rain. Areas most likely to experience heavy ice include Cincinnati, Circleville, Wilmington, Nelsonville, McConnelsville and Athens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment