Friday, February 28, 2014

Winter Storm Watch

The National Weather Service in Wilmington has issued a WINTER STORM WATCH which is in effect from Saturday night to Monday afternoon. 

Main Impacts…
Snow accumulations of 6"+ along and north of I-70 with possibly 10"+ in areas. 

Ice accumulations of 1/4"-1/2" south of I-70 with the highest ice accumulations falling south of a line from Wilmington to Chillicothe. Cincinnati could get some significant ice accumulations. 

There is still a considerable amount of uncertanty regarding the type of precipitation that will fall in our area. A shift in the storm track would greatly impact the snow and ice totals in any given area. One thing that is certain is the fact that we will be impacted by a major winter storm that will last about 36 hours with the worst of the storm occurring Sunday night into Monday morning. 

I DO EXPECT THE SCHOOL DISTRICS IN CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN OHIO TO CLOSE ON MONDAY DUE TO THE HEAVY SNOW/ICE. 

Here is the current snow forecast from Wilmington issued this morning. 
 

You can see that a slight shift north or south in the storm track would have a huge impact on snow amounts in the I-70 corridor. 

Here is the ice accumulation forecast issued at the same time this morning. 
I think the heaviest ice forecast will be shifted south from where it is in this forecast and Wilmington issued a statement saying they expect the areas along the Ohio River to see the highest ice amounts. 

I will let you know if the forecast changes and when winter storm warnings are issued. 

No comments:

Post a Comment