Monday, February 2, 2015

What Is Going On?

Forecast Bust

I would like to take a minute to discuss the busted forecast for this past snow event. This winter has proven to be an extremely difficult one to forecast due to inconsistencies in model forecasts. A couple of days before this storm hit, it had the heaviest axis of snow just south of I-70 through Ohio, but in reality the heaviest snow was centered along and just north of I-80 in far northern Ohio. There was about a 150 mile shift in the storm track and that is why many people south of a line form Bellefontaine to Mount Vernon saw very little accumulation. The forecast did verify for the northern counties where many people received nearly a foot of snow. Basically all this means is that this winter is proving why forecasting snowstorms is a very difficult task! That is why it is important to regularly check back with the forecast and get the latest information.

More Snow Chances

There are some model trends suggesting as much as 1-3" of snow could fall across much of the State Wednesday night into Thursday morning, but based on how this winter has been going, it is far from a sure thing. There is also some indication that a bigger storm could impact the area next Sunday. That is still very far out and is likely to change quite a bit as we get closer to that event. One thing that has not changed is the threat for brutal cold. It is possible that the coldest weather of the season will be here around Valentines Day.

Stay tuned for updates

*I am sorry I have not been as frequent with my updates recently, but I have been busy with school work and that comes first. I will do my best to keep you updated. If you need an update I highly recommend weather.gov for up to date weather information.

No comments:

Post a Comment